If you know who Misha Collins is, then you probably know how weird and hilarious he is. Most of his tweets are comedic in some way, and the rest of his social medias (Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat) follow the same pattern.
However, despite his usual humorous attitude, the Supernatural actor is also incredibly uplifting. Not only has he founded a charity that encourages kindness and offers support, but he actively stands in the fight against normalcy. For the last few years, Misha has been running a worldwide scavenger hunt (GISHWHES) to show that weirdness is great in every aspect.
1. “I want to live in a world where the word normal is an insult.”
Misha Collins holds a strong belief that normalcy is no fun. Instead he stands for weirdness: embracing everything that you are, even if it doesn’t fit the status quo. In other words? He’s encouraging everyone to just be themselves. That’s definitely some great advice.
2. “Don’t pressure yourself. Don’t worry about what others think you should do or what the social norm is. Do what moves you and makes you smile and the good will follow.”
Again, Misha Collins fully believes that you should embrace who you are. Instead of following what everyone else does, the key is to follow yourself. It doesn’t matter how weird, it doesn’t matter how many people have done the same thing or the opposite; just do what makes you happy.
3. “The first step in changing anything is getting people to care.”
As Misha says, if you want something to change, you have to take a stand. An issue can’t be challenged if no one knows it’s a problem. When there’s a whole group of people pushing for change, that’s when situations are revamped and revised.
4. “I actually think that the most efficacious way of making a difference is to lead by example. Doing random acts of kindness is setting a very good example of how to behave in the world.”
How would you feel if the person ahead of you paid for your coffee? You’d probably be happy, right? Free coffee! While it may not happen to everyone, some people who experience a kind act may pay it forward. Maybe since they got their coffee for free, they’ll be inclined to pay for the next person’s drink. One act of kindness can lead to another. This shows that a movement begins by people stepping up and setting an example.
5. “We are bound only by the limits of our imaginations.”
If you really think about it, Misha is right. If you can think it, you can do it.
6. “I think that kindness and generosity are infectious qualities, that when you carry them out, you often inspire others to do the same, and that one small act can actually have an exponential effect.”
Take Misha Collins himself as an example. By opening up his global scavenger hunt and charity organization, he has inspired thousands of people around the world to spread kindness in their communities. One small action can begin an entire wave of them.
7. “Be kind to yourself so you can be happy enough to be kind to the world.”
Before you can really start to be kind to others, you have to start by being kind to yourself. If you’re not happy with who you are, it’ll be hard to spread that sort of thought. Remember Misha’s important message: he wants the word normal to become an insult. So instead of tearing yourself down for your differences, embrace them! They’re what makes you weird, and weirdness is to be celebrated.
8. “It’s fun to see people blow through their own perceived limitations.”
It’s very often that people set their own limitations. Due to themselves and/or others, they get this belief that they can only do so much. It’s all a lie though; every human is capable of greatness. It’s always wonderful when someone figures that out for themselves, and with that, passes their own expectations.
What’s your favorite quote from Misha Collins? Will you be participating in his worldwide scavenger hunt this year? Tell us in the comments below or tweet us @CelebMix.