Elton John has announced that two separate albums containing covers of songs written by him and his longtime lyricist Bernie Taupin will be released in April.
The pop/RnB/rock Revamp and the country themed Restoration will drop on April 6, but who will be featuring on the albums? Elton and Bernie have reached out to some of the biggest names in music, with the tracklist looking seriously impressive.
Revamp will feature the likes of Lady Gaga, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Alessia Cara, Miley Cyrus, The Killers, and Florence and the Machine. The first track from the album, Q Tip and Demi Lovato’s take on ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’ was premiered on Radio 2 earlier today and will be available this week.
On the other hand, Restoration is armed with some of country’s biggest names, both old and new. The likes of Little Big Town, Maren Morris, Chris Stapleton, Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson have contributed covers to the album.
Speaking about the new project, Elton said: “It’s always a huge compliment when an artist loves your song enough to take the time and effort to rework it. As songwriters, Bernie and myself are thrilled when singers we admire and respect as much as those on Revamp & Restoration choose to add their own unique twist in the process. It means that our music is still relevant and ultimately that our songs continue to reach new audiences. We’re humbled and thank them all for their generosity.”
Bernie added: “Because of our love of all kinds of music, we’re not stuck in one genre. From day one we borrowed from everything that’s good about American music – whether it’s blues, country, gospel, pop, pure rock – everything got thrown in the mix. I think that’s why our music over the years has been so varied. It would be tiring if you just got stuck in one niche your entire career, especially when it’s one as long as ours.”
- Bennie and The Jets – Elton John, P!nk, Logic
- We All Fall In Love Sometimes – Coldplay
- I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues – Alessia Cara
- Candle In The Wind – Ed Sheeran
- Tiny Dancer – Florence And The Machine
- Someone Saved My Life Tonight – Mumford and Sons
- Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word – Mary J. Blige
- Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – Q Tip feat. Demi Lovato
- Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters – The Killers
- Daniel – Sam Smith
- Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me – Miley Cyrus
- Your Song – Lady Gaga
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Queens of the Stone Age
- Rocket Man – Little Big Town
- Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters – Maren Morris
- Sacrifice – Don Henley and Vince Gill
- Take Me To The Pilot – Brothers Osborne
- My Father’s Gun – Miranda Lambert
- I Want Love – Chris Stapleton
- Honky Cat – Lee Ann Womack
- Roy Rogers – Kacey Musgraves
- Please – Rhonda Vincent and Dolly Parton
- The Bitch Is Back – Miley Cyrus
- Sad Songs (Say So Much) – Dierks Bentley
- This Train Don’t Stop – Rosanne Cash and Emmylou Harris
- Border Song – Willie Nelson
Elton recently announced that he will be retiring from live performing, however, he will be ending on a high with a final three-year long, 300-date Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour which kicks off in September.