From tweeting about artists we hadn’t heard of before to looking extremely handsome in band shirts, and from getting album artworks tattooed to tweeting Mick Jagger he loves him – Harry Styles has a great taste in music and we love him for it. Here are 22 times we were particularly grateful.
22. When he supported Fifth Harmony right from the start
@FifthHarmony smashed it..
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) December 6, 2012
Way back when the girls were still on X Factor USA, Harry already was a Harmonizer.
21. When he bought Niall that Eagles baseball tee
Apparently Harry bought Niall this baseball tee for his birthday. Maybe he loved it so much he bought himself one as well, or maybe they just ended up sharing this one – either way, they both look stunning.
20. When he quoted Bruno Mars
It's a beautiful night,we're looking for something dumb to do,hey baby…I think I wanna marry you.. :D
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) February 12, 2011
Is there anything better than a young Harry Styles happily tweeting lyrics to love songs? No, there isn’t.
19. When he wrote a song with Kodaline
We probably weren’t the only ones who discovered Kodaline after rumours surfaced that Harry wrote the lyrics pictured above with the Irish band.
18. When he got his Dark Side of the Moon tattoo
Pictured here, right above the ship and skeleton tattoos – the album artwork for Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon, decorating Harry’s upper arm.
17. When he danced to the Dirty Dancing song with Kristen Wiig
gif credit: x
Basically, Kristen Wiig is living all of our dreams right there.
16. When he baked Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks a cake
If it wasn’t for Harry’s undying love for Fleetwood Mac, we would have never gotten this incredibly lovely story. Did you know Harry used to be a baker?
15. When he confessed his love to Mick Jagger
@MickJagger love you forever.
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) May 29, 2014
We love it when Harry lets his inner fangirl out.
14. When he tweeted the lyrics to Joni Mitchell’s My Old Man
We don't need no piece of paper from the city hall.
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) September 29, 2013
Which immediately had his fans thinking he got married. We don’t think Harry tied the knot just yet, but we do want to thank him for bringing this wonderful song to our attention.
13. When he picked Songbird as his favourite song of all times
Back in December, the 1D lads took over BBC Radio 1 for an hour. When asked about his favourite band (Fleetwood Mac), his favourite album (Rumours) and his favourite song, Harry ultimately went with Songbird. Which definitely did not make us cry over our Christmas dinner. Nope.
12. When he looked all kinds of adorable wearing Ed Sheeran hoodies
Did we print these pictures on a canvas that spans our entire wall? Maybe.
11. When he tweeted the lyrics to Hozier’s Cherry Wine
I have this some of the time.
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) December 1, 2015
Not too long ago, Harry shared with us this snippet of Hozier lyrics, which may have led us to down a bottle of red wine whilst crying over our non-existent love lives.
10. When he and his boys covered FourFiveSeconds
Harry probably didn’t make this decision all on his own, but still.
9. When he blasted Miley Cyrus’ We Can’t Stop in his car
Bless you, Nick Grimshaw, for sharing this video with us.
8. When he sang Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive on stage
It might have been Jon and Liam who started it, but we can all agree that Harry is the one getting into the song the most.
7. When One Direction picked their support acts
Once again a decision that Harry probably didn’t make on his own, but we’re sure he deserves some credit here. From 5SOS to Jamie Lawson, we have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of One Direction’s support acts through the years.
6. When he voiced his love for Shania Twain
Shania Twain is so good.
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) October 8, 2013
We’re fairly sure it’s impossible to not love Shania Twain and we’re glad that Harry agrees.
5. When he wears Rolling Stones t-shirts
We’ll just let these pictures speak for themselves.
4. When he apparently rapped TLC’s Chasing Waterfalls
Niall, if there’s any video footage of this, please send it our way. We beg you.
3. When he referenced Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda
How many times do you think he danced along to Anaconda in his kitchen?
2. When he tweeted the lyrics to Sweet Disposition
A moment, a love, a dream, a laugh, a kiss, a cry, our rights, our wrongs…A Moment AAAHHHHHH!!
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) April 23, 2012
And unintentionally made it the anthem of a large part of his fanbase.
1. When he writes songs for One Direction
The number one reason to be thankful for Harry’s taste in music: all of the artists he loves, the music he listened to when growing up, and the albums he’s had on repeat for years have made him into an incredible songwriter. If it wasn’t for Fleetwood Mac, Paul Simon and countless other artists, Harry might not have written the One Direction songs that we love and listen to every day.
So from the bottom of our hearts: thank you Harry, and we hope you have a lovely birthday.