When we ask to hear something we’ve never heard before, Hundred Handed definitely fits the bill. Inspired by many different artists and groups from Daft Punk to Michael Jackson, the Los Angeles -based group is bursting with creativity.
Hundred Handed brings a unique, fun sound and vibe to the industry – so we had them describe themselves, the music, and milestones in their own words.
1. How did you come up with the name Hundred Handed?
It’s a reference to the only class that Jordan actually showed up to in college. Greek and Roman mythology. The Hundred Handed were these insanely powerful monsters that Zeus used to win the War of the Titans. To avoid a full history lesson here, look them up! Great story!
2. Were there any other potential group names that came close to being picked?
Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters. Nickelback was taken.
3. How would you describe the band’s musical sound?
The musical equivalent to a wicked smart janitor that solves equations on a chalkboard without telling anyone.
4. What were your first impressions of each other?
Drew and Matt were immediately stuck in a never ending swoon-cycle over Jordan. Jordan thought they were “aight.”
5. What made you want to pick up the instruments you play in the band?
Because in high school, nothing screams popular like sitting in your room alone learning other people’s songs.
6. If you could be one of the other band members for a day, who would you be and why?
I think we’d all pick Jordan’s dog Pigg. She gets all the benefits of being in the band with none of the responsibility. Plus unlimited food, unlimited naps, and no clothes.
7. What was the most challenging thing about writing and releasing your first single, “She Was The One”?
Eating all the free Violet Crumbles people gave us in Australia.
8. You released a music video for your song, “Celebrate” and it definitely looked like a good time! What were your favorite memories from filming the music video?
The “too hot for TV” out takes of Jordan and his mannequin girlfriend. If the fine folks over at Vivid ever get their hands on those… Yum!
9. How did it feel playing shows over in Australia?
You’d be hard pressed to find a rowdier crowd than an Australian crowd. They love music, they live for a good time, and they’re always open to something new! We’ll go back any time they’ll have us.
10. What are some things you’ve learned from being in a band?
How one’s diet translates to the cumulative stew of odors seeping from their bunk by the end of a tour. Also, how to be super serious and have no fun at all.
11. If you could pick one band to tour with and open for, who would it be and why?
If the Baja Men ever make a comeback they’re shooting straight to the top of the list. Maybe we’ll finally find out who let those dogs out.
12. What are some milestones you’d like to reach as a band?
World domination and an invitation into Taylor Swift’s squad.
13. You’ve been releasing a new song every month – but are there any other future projects we should keep an eye out for?
The next month’s song! We’re having fun making our own path and not being tied down with too rigid of a schedule… so who knows what’ll happen!
14. Is there anything you would like to say to your fans?
Han shot first.
You can find Hundred Handed on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and their website.
Are you looking forward to Hundred Handed’s next song of the month? Let us know by tweeting us at @CelebMix!