Today is the day when legend Kurt Cobain, would have turned 50 years old.
Despite being gone for close to 19 years now, Cobain’s mark on this earth remains as prominent as ever. He’s undoubtedly one of the most recognizable faces from the 90s and easily the most important musician of the grunge scene. Not only were his vocals shared as lead singer of Nirvana but further used to support feminism and gay rights.
At this point, I have a request for our fans. If any of you in ANY way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us — leave us the fuck alone. Don’t come to our shows and don’t buy our records.
Kurt Cobain was wise beyond his years. He wrote songs people could relate to, songs that spoke out about important matters, songs that helped people escape the cruelty of the world. He caught attention because he was an honest man and it was rare; but he couldn’t have cared less.
What’s alternative? What’s cool? Who knows? Who cares? If chasing cool is important to you, you’re an idiot.
In fact, Kurt often downplayed his own talents; which is ironic because Nirvana’s influence still resonates to this day. Well beloved artists such as Blink 182, Lana Del Rey and Jay-Z all have incorporated Nirvana lyrics into their own.
“I, or we as a band, never really copied anybody or spent time learning other people’s songs. We were never good enough or had the patience to do it. We put that energy into putting our own stuff together. We’re from the learn-as-you-play school. We’re still in it.”
That was one of the most appreciated things about Kurt – his humbleness. It was no secret that he was a down to earth kind of guy. Even as his fame increased, he remained as genuine as he could. He didn’t see the point in putting up a front and because of that, it helped encourage his fans to be proud of who they are.
I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I’m not.
In remembrance of a true icon, here are some of our all time favorite Kurt Cobain quotes:
- “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”
- “They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re the same.”
- “Punk is musical freedom. It’s saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster’s terms, ‘Nirvana’ means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world. That’s pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock.”
- “The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.”
- “I’m definitely a feminist. I’m fucking disgusted by the way women are still treated.”
- “I’m not afraid of dying. If you die, you’re completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on. Becoming someone else and total peace after death is the best hope I’ve got.”
- “Birds scream at the top of their lungs in horrified hellish rage every morning at daybreak to warn us all of the truth. But sadly, we don’t speak bird.”
- “I’m not gay. Although I wish I were… just to piss off all the homophobes.”
- “There’s good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much. So much that it makes me feel too fucking sad.”
- “When I was younger I knew I could do anything. I could be the president if I wanted to, but that was a stupid idea. I’d rather be a rock star.”
- “They try to educate women about how to defend themselves but what really needs to be done is teaching men not to rape.”
- “Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art.”
Thank you for leaving such a special mark on this earth. Although you’d probably struggle with accepting the cheer, we hope your soul is having a lovely 50th birthday today. You’re forever in our hearts as your music is forever in our ears.
What is your favorite thing about Kurt? Tweet us at @CelebMix and let us in on your thoughts! We always love hearing from you.