It doesn’t seem that long ago since these four young girls popped onto our TV screens but believe it or not, it’s actually been four whole years.
Yes, that’s right. It has been four years today since Perrie, Jesy, Leigh-Anne and Jade were put together on The X Factor to make what is now the biggest girl band in the universe, Little Mix. Where has the time gone?!
1. The first time we saw these girls perform together, I think we all knew we had something special. At Judges houses, the girls performed a version of Big Girls Don’t Cry in front of Tulisa and Jessie J. Of course back then, the girls were known as Rhythmix but that didn’t stop Jessie J saying that she was “slightly in love with them.” Oh and in case you didn’t know, four years on and the girls have written a song with Jessie J for their new album Get Weird, HOW AMAZING?! 2. So Tulisa obviously knew what she was doing and put the girls through to the live shows of The X Factor, YAY. Which mean’t that every week, we got to saw the girls perform and become the first girl band in all of X Factor history to actually do pretty well during the show. The girls changed their name to Little Mix during the live shows due to a charity also being called Rhythmix. Jade, Jesy, Leigh-Anne and Perrie performed so many amazing tracks during these live weeks including Nicki Minaj’s Superbass, Beyonce’s If I Were A Boy and Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. Eventually the girls made it all the way to final AND had the chance to sing with their mentor, Tulisa. Tulisa joined the girls on stage to sing a mash-up of two popular Alicia Keys tracks, Empire State Of Mind and I Ain’t Got You. It was all just absolutely incredible. 3. Little Mix were not just the first girl band to do well in The X Factor, they became the first girl band to ever WIN the show. The fabulous foursome were indeed the first group ever to triumph and win The X Factor. They truly won the nation’s hearts and won pretty much everyone’s vote. Their reaction to winning is quite possibly the best reaction ever. Awww girls, we always knew you could do it. The girls went on to realise their winners single Cannonball, which obviously went straight to the top of the charts!
4. After all of the amazingness of winning The X Factor and landing a record deal, the girls started the hard work straight away and began work on their debut album. In the summer of 2012, we got the first taste of the album as the girls released their hit single Wings. The song was a massive tune for the girls and is still such an anthemic one for them to play now and with Wings, the girls scored their second number 1 single.
5. Late 2012, it finally happened! We finally got our hands on the first ever Little Mix album, DNA. Safe to say the girls started their career in the music industry with an absolute bang because DNA was an absolute killer first album. The album generated hits like the ever so inspiring Change Your Life, the dark love song that is DNA and even a single named How Ya Doin?’ with none other than Missy Elliot. WOW. In 2013, the girls did their very first headline tour around the UK and Ireland and then decided to take their music overseas. Now, I don’t think this is news to anyone but to make it in the United States is quite a hard thing to do. However, these four ladies went over there and absolutely stormed it with DNA. DNA just so happened to debut on the Billboard chart at number 4 which broke the Spice Girls record for highest debut of a girl band ever. Safe to say that the girls were doing pretty decent in the US then eh?
6. After all of the success of the first album, there obviously had to be a follow up. Along came Salute. Just when we thought that these girls couldn’t get any better vocally, they drop an absolute bombshell of an album on us. The album generated some of the sassiest Little Mix songs ever including title track Salute. The first single from the album Move, was also and still is such an amazingly well written song that you just want to dance your little booty off to. Now lets not forget that these girls write their own material and so the song Little Me has such a strong meaning from the girls. Little Me is a song that definitely inspires and sticks with a lot of fans and is such a beautiful track. The girls also took their Salute album over to the US where it charted at number 6, leaving the girls with two top ten albums in the US!
7. In 2014, the girls also released a charity single in aid of Sport Relief, a UK charity which helps vulnerable people in the UK and in some of the worlds poorest countries. The girls’ single was a cover of Cameo’s Word Up and was a huge smash in order for the girls to raise some money and awareness for the charity. The music video even in had Mel C from the Spice Girls in!
8. 2014 was surely the year of touring for Little Mix. Perrie, Jade, Jesy and Leigh-Anne began the year supporting Demi Lovato on her Neon Lights tour in America and then came back home on UK soil to do their own headline tour in some of the biggest arenas in the country. Now for anyone who missed the Salute tour, you definitely missed out because the girls put on one hell of a show. Their vocals, choreography, staging, costumes and everything was on point. This band was definitely made to play the big arenas and stadiums! We’d suggest that if you haven’t already got tickets for their Get Weird arena tour for 2016, you definitely should.
9. Without having new Little Mix music in the world, everyone has been at a bit of a loss. However, this year the girls are back with their biggest album yet. After struggling to write their third album, the girls have finally completed it and it will be released later this year. If their first single from the album ‘Black Magic’ is anything to go by, we think the world will just completely fall in love with these girls even more. The girls have already achieved and done so many things this year, as the release of Black Magic has catapulted them to even bigger success. The single stayed number 1 for three consecutive weeks on the Official UK chart and is still in the top five now. The girls performed with Taylor Swift, performed at the Teen Choice Awards and won a TCA award for Choice Music Breakout Artist. Just last month, the incredible foursome did a cover of Jason Derulo’s Want To Want Me in the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge and it was absolutely insane. Leigh-Anne, Jesy, Perrie and Jade did a flawless cover of the number 1 song and mashed it up with Whitney Houston’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody. Ahh, it was just brilliant. Have a listen for yourself.
The girls have had such a great four years and already had such an incredible year this year and things are only getting better. With success all over the world from the UK to the US to Japan, we are sure that this year will be their year to take over the world. Their friendship is the loveliest thing in the world and I think that is something that every girl should have or aspire to have, a group of girl friends who have your back no matter what.
We’d also just like to quickly thank the girls for being such amazing role models for many people across the world, especially women and young girls. We absolutely love the message that these girls stand for and we cannot wait to get our hands on their third studio album Get Weird, when it releases November 6th. We love you girls, keep doing what you are doing and heres to world domination!
And if you can’t wait until November to get your ears all over Get Weird, then here is an acapella of one of the album tracks which the girls have been singing around their current US promotional tour. It’s another incredible song, just saying.