It has now been almost two months since Switzerland chose their representative for the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest. Zibbz won the countries national selection show Die Entscheidungsshow 2018 with their song “Stones” after winning both a jury and public vote.
Brother and sister duo, Corinne and Stefan Gfeller have a strong entry for the contest. “Stones” has a country rock feel to it, is incredibly catchy and Corinne totally delivers on the vocals giving the song that edge to make it stand out.
Corinne and Stefan recently took time out of their busy schedule to chat with us about their Eurovision entry “Stones”, promotion for the contest and what it is like to work together as siblings.
1. Firstly, congratulations on winning Die Entscheidungsshow! Can you let us know a bit about why you decided to compete in the show, and what it was about Eurovision that appealed to you?
The idea originally came from friends of ours that worked at ESC. We always used to watch the ESC with our family when we were kids. But we never felt that we had the right song to compete. With “Stones” we think we have a song in hand that has the potential to make a little difference in this world.
2. How has the promotion for Eurovision been going so far?
3. Will you be performing at any Eurovision parties in the lead up to the contest?
We are currently doing preparations here in LA but will be back in Switzerland in a few weeks and are definitely taking part in the European pre-shows in April! We are looking forward to meeting the amazing community we have already had contact with online!
4. Can you tell us about the inspiration behind your song “Stones”?
We wrote “Stones” in a songwriter-camp with the Canadian songwriter Laurell Barker. The message is something which moves us all deeply and sadly still is a problem in today’s world. It’s about inclusion, equality, diversity and tolerance. It’s a call to stand up against bullying and hate.
5. Have you had a chance to listen to any other entries for this year’s Eurovision, and if so who are your favourites so far?
Yes, there are so many strong songs and acts this year. We love the diversity of the artists and countries. And even though there are other duos, we are all different. We think the Czech and the UK are pretty strong. We are very excited to be a part of this great line-up.
6. As you are siblings, what is it like working with each other?
We don’t work together because we are siblings but because we get along very well and we’re on the same page. Of course, as siblings, we can fight too! But we’ve been a team for so long… we learned to leave the sibling fights for after work :)
7. Who were your musical inspirations growing up?
We grew up listening to Rock’n’Roll. Blues, Rock and Soul was always a big inspiration for us (The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, Led Zepplin). Nowadays we love artists like 21pilots, Jack White, Paramore, Beck, No Doubt and Pink.
8. Eurovision will no doubt be your focus right now, but have you any other plans lined up for the rest of 2018?
At the moment we are totally concentrating on ESC and we want to enjoy every minute of the ride.
9. Lastly, have you got any message for your fans?
Your support means the world to us!! Thank you for helping us spread the message and the music. Hope to see you in Lisbon!! ;)