On the same day that Mary Berry quit The Great British Bake Off, fellow judge Paul Hollywood has announced that he will be staying with the programme when it moves to Channel 4.
In a statement, Paul said: “Since I was a kid, baking has been part of my life. The seven series inside the tent have created some great memories. Best of all, I have felt so pleased to experience other people getting the baking bug, just as I did when my dad helped me make my first loaf.
“The Great British Bake Off has brought baking to the nation and we’ve seen people from all walks of life and backgrounds experience the highs and lows of competition, and more importantly helping each other.
“It’s been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn’t turn my back on all that – the bakers themselves, the bakes, the team that makes it, and of course the tent, the bunting, and who could forget… the squirrels.
“So I am delighted that I will be continuing as a judge when Bake Off moves to Channel 4. I want to thank the BBC and Mel and Sue for making my time in the tent great fun and really rewarding.”
In a further statement, after learning about Mary’s departure, he added: “When I spoke about my news earlier on, I did not know what Mary was saying about her decision, and more importantly had not been able to speak to her.
“Let there be no doubt: I have loved every minute of my time working with Mary. I have learned so much from her and we are great friends inside and outside the tent. That will not change. Knowing her as well as I do, I am sure she has made the right decision for her. I will miss her.”
Paul also sent a tweet to relay the news to all Bake Off fans.
I'm staying in the tent with the bakers where I belong. I want to thank Mary. I'll miss her but she has made the right decision for her.
— Paul Hollywood (@PaulHollywood) September 22, 2016
Following the announcement of Mary and presenters Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins’ departures, this means that Paul will be the only original star on The Great British Bake Off when it makes the move from the BBC to Channel 4.
Jay Hunt, chief creative officer of Channel 4, said: “Paul really is the star baker – an exceptional talent with a twinkle in his eye.”
She added: “His wit, warmth and wisdom are vital ingredients in Bake Off’s success. I’m so delighted he’s coming to Channel 4.”
Bake Off fans have predominantly been up in arms every since it was revealed that the show would be moving channels. With only a quarter of the original presenting team left, Channel 4 has got some big boots to fill in terms of replacements and to ensure that the well-loved show continues to be the success it deserves to be.
What do you make of all the Bake Off news? Are you pleased that Paul Hollywood is staying? Who will replace Mary, Mel and Sue? Let us know your thoughts on Twitter @CelebMix