Last night, AXS TV broadcasted the second annual Alternative Press Music Awards all across the United States and Canada. The awards were hosted by Alex Gaskarth and Jack Barakat of All Time Low and the things that happened at the award show were, to say the least, controversial. Here’s a quick recap of all the big moments:
1) some of the biggest names in punk rock performed live at the APMAs, including All Time Low themselves, Black Veil Brides, Pierce The Veil, PVRIS, Sum 41, Panic! At The Disco, Simple Plan, Taking Back Sunday, New Found Glory, ISSUES and Simple Plan, all closed up by a massive performance by Weezer.
2) Alex and Jack had some sort of video chat with Mark Hoppus of Blink-182, who hosted the first ever APMAs last year.
3) Mark took the mickey out of Michael Clifford of 5SOS about his band and all the other new punk bands competing with all the old punk legends.
4) the rock band legend X received the award for Icon.
5) Crossfaith, this Japanese metalcore band, cursed every other word and started talking in Japanese, confusing everyone. They were there to present an award but they left a rather sour taste in everyone’s mouth.
6) The award winners were as follows:
BEST VOCALIST presented by AXS TV: Hayley Williams, Paramore
BEST INTERNATIONAL BAND presented by AP Japan: The 1975
ICON AWARD presented by Artery Recordings: X
VANGUARD AWARD presented by Equal Vision and MerchNow: Rob Zombie
BEST BASSIST presented by Razor & Tie: Zack Merrick, All Time Low
ARTIST PHILANTHROPIC presented by Sub City/Take Action: Taking Back Sunday for American Cancer Society
BEST LIVE BAND presented by Macbeth: A Day To Remember
BEST DRUMMER presented by DW Drums: Rian Dawson, All Time Low
BEST FANDOM presented by Tumblr: 5 Seconds Of Summer
BEST MUSIC VIDEO presented by Journeys: “Drown,” Bring Me The Horizon
SONG OF THE YEAR presented by Epitaph Records: “Kick Me,” Sleeping With Sirens
BEST UNDERGROUND BAND presented by Sumerian Records: Being As An Ocean
MOST DEDICATED FANS presented by Fearless Records: All Time Low’s “hustlers”
BEST GUITARIST presented by Gibson Brands: Tony Perry, Pierce The Veil
BREAKTHROUGH BAND presented by Splat: PVRIS
ARTIST OF THE YEAR presented by Monster Energy: Issues
ALBUM OF THE YEAR presented by Journeys: Black Veil Brides, Black Veil Brides
7) Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was completely knackered, and it easy to tell. You’d think that these big artists could try and stay professional for an awards show, but that apparently wasn’t the case. When Zach Merrick came out with the rest of All Time Low to accept the award for most dedicated fans, he had a glass of beer in his hand. And then when Panic! At The Disco performed, Brendon Urie had a bottle of beer on the piano and took a swig from it more than once.
8) Alex and Jack even said, towards the end, that all the alcohol in the building had run out…
9) Jack Barakat, after complaining that his idea of a Kiss Cam was nixed, said that he would still get his kiss and kissed Alex Gaskarth full on the mouth, then saying that he tasted like whisky. That was definitely my favourite part.
10) Sum 41 KILLED their set, as did All Time Low and Black Veil Brides. Also, Brendon Urie sings like an angel.
11) There’s a lot of controversy of whether or not the awards were rigged, since All Time Low won every single award that they were nominated for (except for Tumblr Fandom of the Year which went to 5 Seconds of Summer).
12) The trend of twenty one pilots never having won an award continues, causing the Skeleton Clique to wonder what could possibly be wrong with the ears of the world.
13) Hayley Williams sang alongside her fiance Chad Gilbert during New Found Glory’s performance of “Vicious Love”.
14) Simple Plan performed again at an awards show after an almost 4 year hiatus.
All in all, the audience seemed to be enjoying themselves at the show and regardless of being drunk, the announcers and performers seemed to do a good job. Even though the whole effect was slightly disorganised and sloppy, the show seemed to be a success in general. Hopefully next year they can save the drinking for AFTER the show…