Savannah Outen has definitely made her mark in the music scene. She’s been posting amazing covers on her YouTube channel since 2007 and performed at the 85th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Since her first covers and songs, she’s also branched out from music and released her own jewelry line with Stilnest.
She discussed musical beginnings, milestones, and new music with CelebMix!
1. How would you describe your musical sound?
It’s pop with some rhythmic / urban flares.
2. Who is an artist who inspires you musically?
I am so inspired by Jon Bellion and Justin Timberlake. They experiment with different sounds and have such out of the box, amazing melodies. Also, Celine Dion. She’s been an inspiration of mine since I was a little girl. She made me fall in love with singing.
3. You’ve been posting amazing covers on YouTube since 2007 – what was your favorite song to cover and why?
Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. There are so many emotions in that song and I love singing it. I was so nervous to cover it at first but I finally mustered up the courage.
4. Over the years, you’ve reached over a 100 million views on your YouTube channel. What is it like to connect with your audience through an online platform?
It’s amazing because it’s allowed me to create a personal relationship with everyone who supports me. I can give them a behind the scenes look from the studio, show them what I did with my best friends over the weekend, or stuff their faces and drink coffee with me in pictures. And then they send me photos back which makes our connection closer. I’ve always wanted to be an artist that people can relate to.
5. One of your songs, “Goodbyes” charted for 18 weeks on the Top 30 Countdown on Radio Disney, and peaked at #5. How did it feel knowing your song was reaching so many people for so long?
I was FREAKING out! I had grown up loving everything Disney so being a part of that family was awesome. I still have people come up to me and say that “Goodbyes” was their graduation song or that it helped them through a long distance relationship with their best friend. Those stories make me so happy because that’s exactly why I do what I do.
6. You have a brand-new single “Coins”, and we’re excited to hear it! What’s the story behind the lyrics?
I wanted to write an anthem for my fans. BADDLUCK, Keith Hetrick and Emile Ghantous helped me bring this song to life. It’s all about being yourself and not changing for anyone! All with a fun, carefree vibe with production. I’ve had so many people in this industry try and tell me who to be, and this song is my response to them.
7. What do you think has been the most challenging aspect about creating your own music?
Creating music is such a magical experience. It starts off with one sound and then turns into an entire record. For me, the most challenging part is coming up with a title that is going to embody that entire song. So recently, I’ve been walking in with a ton of titles and starting from there.
8. You’re planning to release an EP this year – what can we expect?
I’ve been in the studio almost every day for the past two years so I’m READY to share with everyone what I’ve been working on! The EP is the last few years of my life in a nutshell. There’s a song for every part of your day. You can work out to one, drink coffee to another in the morning, and cry to the other.
9. Outside of music, you have your own jewelry line with Stilnest. What made you want to branch out into jewelry?
There are so many other worlds I’ve wanted to venture into and jewelry was one of them. I’m a huge fan of accessories and when Stilnest reached out to me about doing a line with them I screamed, and then said heck yes. I am obsessed with gold so we made some amazing gold pieces that resemble tempo and music. I am so proud of how they turned out!
10. If you could go on tour with any band or artist, who would it be and why?
I may faint, but I would love to go on tour with Justin Timberlake or Adele. They are two artists who inspire me not only with their music but their personalities as well. They are so funny, witty and are 100% themselves.
11. What’s a message you want to convey to your listeners through your music?
I want my music to touch someone and make them feel. This is a crazy world and a lot of the times, we feel alone. I want to be that friend that tells them “I’ve gone through this too”. I also hope to inspire people to go after what it is they love to do.
12. What’s a milestone you’d like to reach in your career?
There are SO many things I want to accomplish. I would LOVE to host and perform on SNL, walk into Target and see my CD and tour the world. But the most important thing for me is to be happy and continue making music that I love.
13. Is there anything you would like to say to your fans?
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for being so patient with me and sticking with me through all these years. I am so excited to finally be able to share new music with you! I hope you love it! I had the most amazing time making it, and this is only the beginning. I love you guys!
Are you excited to hear more new music from Savannah Outen? Let us know by tweeting us at @CelebMix.