With One Direction’s sixth anniversary right around the corner, let’s take it back to where it all began: the X Factor. We made a list (in no particular order) of our sixteen favourite X Factor moments to cater to your nostalgic needs in times like these. Grab yourself some tissues and get comfortable!
1. Their first performance as One Direction
This one doesn’t need an explanation, does it?
2. When Harry got super passionate about cooking
His passion for domesticity always gets us.
3. The moment they were formed
Now, we don’t want to sound dramatic, but this just might have been the most important moment in modern history.
4. When they performed with Robbie Williams
We’re not sure what’s our favourite bit of this video: fetus One Direction wearing suits, Louis’ beaming smile when he introduces Robbie Williams or the group hug at the end.
5. Their make up when they performed ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’
Did we ever get a reasonable explanation for what this was?
6. The cinematic masterpiece that was their introduction video
Oscar-worthy, if you ask us.
7. When Harry and Louis played this riveting game
We’re not entirely sure what’s happening here, but at least they’re having fun.
8. When Liam broke our hearts into a gazillion pieces
Crying fetus Liam Payne: as painful as it is heartwarming.
9. When Niall promised he wouldn’t let us down
A promise he certainly kept.
10. When Jimmy protested
And Louis unwillingly created one of the first memes in the One Direction fandom.
11. When Zayn got super excited
The rest of the band is being their adorable amazed selfs, while Zayn is all of us.
12. When this happened
We’re not gonna lie: we have no idea what’s going on here.
13. The video diaries
Since it’s proven absolutely impossible to pick a favourite bit of the video diaries, here’s a video of all of them.
14. When they had forgotten about the concept of personal space by week 3
Something that would become a regular feature of 1D in the years to come.
15. The infamous shoulder thrust
A dance move that mr. Styles still brings back occasionally, and we’re still enjoying it as much as we did in 2010.
16. When Zayn told us exactly what we needed to hear
And oh, how right he was.
And that’s it: sixteen of our favourite X Factor memories. What are your favourite X Factor moments? Do you have a favourite bit from the video diaries or a favourite performance? Let us know on Twitter over at @CelebMix and @CelebMix1D!