“The key to longevity is to learn every aspect of music that you can.”
On Thursday, the world universally took a bullet to the heart when the announcement of Prince being found dead, was made. At the age of 57 we lost a musical genius – but if there is one thing we know for sure, legends never truly die.
The people who have created and solidified their mark on earth are never gone, but continue to live on through various ways. It could be from the music they wrote, the movies they did, the words they’ve said, or their simple acts of kindness that changed life for the better.
Not only did Prince have an exceptional knack for writing/producing music, but his evidential intelligence shined through the things he said and the lyrics he sang.
So to honor the legend himself, we put together a series of our favorite Prince quotes.
- “The most important thing is to be true to yourself, but I also like danger. That’s what’s missing from pop music today. There’s no excitement or mystery.”
- “All people care about nowadays is getting paid – so they try to do just what the audience wants them to do. I’d rather give people what they need rather than just what they want.”
- “Everyone has their own experience. That’s why we are here, to go through our own experience… to learn, to go down those paths. And eventually you may have gone down so many paths and have learned so many things that you don’t ever have to come back again.”
- “Like books and black lives, albums still matter.”
- “I had a massive ego when I was younger. Massive. But that’s not always such a bad thing because at least you’re aspiring to be something. You consider yourself great because you want to be great.”
- “No child is bad from the beginning, they just imitate their atmosphere.”
- “Yeah, everybody’s got a bomb. We could all die any day. But before I let that happen, I’ll dance my life away.”
“Life is just a party and parties weren’t meant to last.”
- “Always cry for love, never cry for pain.”
- “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life.”
- “If you set your mind free baby, maybe you’d understand.”
- “I am yours now and you are mine, and together we’ll love through all space and time.”
- “Music is music, ultimately. If it makes you feel good, cool.”
- “I only wanted to see you laughing in the Purple Rain.”
“I don’t really care so much what people say about me because it usually is a reflection of who they are. For example, if people wish I would sound like what I used to sound like, then it says more about them than it does me.”
- “A strong spirit transcends rules.”
- “Compassion is an action word with no boundaries.”
- “I’m not a woman, I’m not a man. I’m something you’ll never understand.”
- “I used to tease a lot of journalists early on because I wanted them to concentrate on the music and not so much on me coming from a broken home. I don’t live in the past. I don’t play my old records for that reason. I make a statement, then move on to the next.”
- “Movies are REAL! Music is REAL! If it affects people, it’s real. The other night I went to a club and watched a DJ control an entire room. Politicians can’t even do that.”
- “The new pushes the old out of the way and retains what it wants to.”
- “If you ever lose someone dear to you, never say the words, they’re gone. They’ll come back.”
- “Time is a mind construct. It’s not real.”
“There are no accidents. And if there are, it’s up to us to look at them as something else. That bravery is what creates new flowers.”
What is your favorite Prince quote? Comment in the space below or tweet us at @CelebMix! We always love hearing from you.